With 2020 being the year it has been, home working has become more and more popular and for some people, a new way of working for the foreseeable future. So, with home working on the rise, we’re here to make sure nothing interrupts your work with the 9 Best Wi-Fi boosters for laptops.
In this article, you’re going to find out more about the best WI-FI boosters the internet can offer you so there’s no need to worry about your WI-FI connection cutting out again over your all-important Skype call! We’ll be telling you everything that’s needed to know about the best WI-FI boosters from their signal to compatible operating systems, we’ve got you covered!
But, before we delve into the 9 best WI-FI boosters for laptops, let’s have a look and see what a WI-FI booster can actually do.
What is a Wi-Fi Booster?
A Wi-Fi booster is a device that’s used to increase the coverage area of your Wi-Fi network. It works by receiving your existing Wi-Fi signal, amplifying it and then transmitting the boosted signal. A Wi-Fi booster can more than double your internet speed and will reach areas of your house you didn’t know it could reach such as your garden, garage or attic.
Wi-Fi boosters for laptops require a USB port as the booster looks just like a memory stick. So not only will it give you a strong wifi connection, but also piece of mind knowing you won’t lose it and there’s no hassle having to set anything up as you just insert it straight into your laptop!
So, now you know what a wifi booster is, let’s have a look at the 9 best Wi-Fi boosters for laptops.
This affordable Wi-Fi booster comes with a 200 Mbps connection speed so you won’t need to be waiting around 10-minutes for Google to load and instead in that time, you could’ve finished browsing the web for whatever it was you were looking for!
For when you need maximum performance, this device has an adjustable, multi-directional antenna (so not the conventional wifi booster you might be thinking of) so when you’re out of your house doing work in a cafe which has weak signal, you are able to rotate and adjust the antenna in multi-direction to improve the wifi signal – cool, right?
- Operating systems: This laptop wifi booster comes with a range of supported operating systems which include Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP and Mac OS. So if you work from home on a Mac but have to go into the office and use a Windows laptop, you can just insert the booster into your laptop.
- Security: Nobody wants to fall victim so cyber frauds and with this device you can rest assured that this won’t be you. This booster has WPA/WPA2 encryption standards which helps keep your wireless connection safe from any frauds.
- Dual-band adapter: The Archer T2U Plus receives Wi-Fi signals on two separate bands. The first one increases data rate which makes for a faster connection. The second makes it quicker for web-surfing, HD streaming and lag-free online gaming.
A super impressive wireless dual-band USB adapter from Cudy. This wifi adapter is the adapter of your dreams if you’re using it to take to work as it will fit so easily into a bag and you won’t even remember it’s in there. Designed for efficiency and performance, this booster really is lightweight and portable.
Built in with 802.11ac wireless technology, this Wi-Fi adapter can give you speeds up to three times faster than the Cudy 11n adapter. Like the previous model we just talked about, this adapter also has two bands available for you to choose. 5GHz which reaches 433Mbps, perfect for using games consoles and streaming your favourite shows and 2.4GHz which is made for web browsing.
- Operating systems: This Wi-Fi adapter will only support Windows laptops and unfortunately not Mac or Linux. The Windows laptops it supports are Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10. If you are looking for a Wi-Fi adapter that will support Mac or Linux then we suggest looking at Cudy’s other models.
- SoftAP Mode: SoftAP Mode (Software enabled Access Point) allows you to turn a wired internet connection to a PC or Laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Plug-in and go: With the Cudy WU600, there’s no need to download the driver when you want to get straight to using it. Simply plug-in and go with the quick and simple auto installation.
The Fideco AC1200 has a similar appearance to the TP-Link AC600 but it’s able to do a lot more than that model. The USB Wi-Fi adapter is applied with USB 3.0 port with data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps, which is ten times faster than traditional USB 2.0 so you’ll be able to get all that’s been put off done in a jiffy.
With the Fideco Wi-Fi dongle, you’ll be able to get strong signal connection across walls, floors and large space areas such as your office. With such a stable and fast wifi connection, this will enable you to enjoy playing video games or watching 4k video straight from the comfort of your own home.
- Operating systems: If you need a wifi booster that’s going to fit into everyones computer then this won’t disappoint! The Fideco AC1200 is compatible with most devices including Windows XP/10/8/7/Vista, Mac OS X and Linux so there’s now no excuses for having weak signal.
- Security: The USB Wi-Fi adapter features 64/128-bit WEP, WPA & WPA2 encryption for high level of security – we understand that could be the most confusing sentence to read, so in short this means that the ‘WEP’ is a Wired Equivalent Privacy which is a security algorithm for wireless networks, ‘WPA’ is a bit-key, the most common being 64-bit for home routers and ‘WPA2’ ensures secure encryption.
- Dual band: This adapter also has two bands available for you to choose, 867Mbps & 2.4G so you can play games, stream music and TV and surf the web!
One of the most expensive on our list but well worth the money for all of the features that it comes with. This USB Wi-Fi dongle adapter gives you a faster speed and comes with a USB cradle extension cable of five feet so if you know where the best connection comes from, the cable will allow you to place it in the perfect position.
The BrosTrend AC3 comes with 5GHz band which means more online streaming of the latest releases on your favourite video streaming apps, video gaming and listening to high quality music – what more can be asked?
- AC wifi chip: The latest 802.11 ac Wi-Fi chip means that the speed of the wifi booster will be three times the speed of Wireless-N (a computer network hardware that supports 802 11n), so you can get to work and half the time it usually takes to do it.
- Dual Band USB WIFI Adapter: Isn’t it annoying when you’re having a great time online shopping and the wifi drops? Well, with BrosTrend AC3 there’s no more worrying about that! Thanks to 2 X external 5dBi detachable antennas, you are able to get connected online, even when your wireless router is on a different floor!
- Operating software: This wifi adapter is compatible on vast range of different devices including Windows 10/8.1/8/Vista/XP, Plug & Play on Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.9-10.14.
Aigital Wi-Fi Adapter
The Aigital Wi-Fi adapter delivers connections that are up to 3x faster than with the Wireless N standard just like the Cudy WU600. Long gone are the days of waiting for files to transfer, with this smart wifi adapter this will transfer your data 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
Unlike the other Wi-Fi boosters for laptops, this device has an antenna design which will maximise the Wi-Fi’s performance and will improve the signal receiving and transmitting power of the USB adapter. The USB 3.0 port will also maximise the throughput performance which will give a stronger and more stable internet connection – perfect for any digital nomads out there.
- Operating software: This Wi-Fi booster will give you universal compatibility working with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP and Mac OS X 10.9-10.15. The device will also work well with any Wi-Fi router access points.
- Lag-free browsing: When time is of the essence, slow Wi-Fi just won’t do! Whether you’re playing video games, watching the new series of the Kardashians or having a Zoom call with your friends, all online activities will be super fast and lag-free.
- MU-MIMO router: This device works with a compatible MU-MIMO router (Multiple User – Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) which are used to let wi-fi routers give a strong connection to multiple devices and the same time in the same house.
HUET Aigital Wi-Fi Adapter
This is the second Wi-Fi adapter in our review that has an antenna and is ten percent cheaper than the previous model that we mentioned. With this device, you get a high-speed USB 3.0 port which gives 10 times faster data speed than a USB 2.0. Its two-way transmission means faster Wi-Fi and low loss so there’s no need to worry about lagging.
This device has a high Wi-Fi speed so that means up to 867Mbps over the 5.8GHz band and 300Mbps over the 2.4GHz band so you will have more time to do the things that matter the most and maybe even twice over if the Wi-Fi connection is that strong!
- Operating system: The HUET Aigital Wi-Fi Adapter is compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7 and Mac OS X 10.9-10.15 and will work well with any Wi-Fi router access points to help the device achieve its maximum performance.
- Unique design: This device wins on the overall design as HUET have most definitely thought about their customers’ needs. This Wi-Fi booster comes designed with special dust-proof heat dissipation holes, efficient heat dissipation and block dust invasion so there’s no need to worry about anything overheating with the possibility of losing connection.
- Omnidirectional antennas: As we mentioned briefly at the beginning of the article, this device comes with omnidirectional antennas which essentially means that the antenna connects to an access point or router, via coaxial cable or it will connect direct to the Wi-Fi access point which will increase the signal coverage area.
So, there’s number six of nine and we’re down to just three of the best Wi-Fi boosters for laptops left to speak about before we reveal which one has won our imaginary trophy. Read on to find out more!
Acelink USB Wi-Fi Adapter
This dual-frequency ultra-high-speed Wi-Fi dongle is recommended more for users who will who need to download documents, uploaded work quickly and want to be the best employee ever.
The adapter is a 1200Mbps network card that adopts the new 11AC dual-band wireless Wi-Fi standard technology.
The installation on the adapter isn’t as easy as some of them where you just have to insert it to a laptop and it’s ready to use. Instead, you need to install the software and an installation CD into a laptop and then insert the Wi-Fi USB adapter, the indicator light flashes to indicate that it is working normally.
- Operating systems: This device is compatible with Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista, Mac OS and Linux so there’s a wide range of laptops to add the device to.
- AP hotspot function: The Acelink USB Wi-Fi adapter has a support softAP function (allows you to turn a wired internet connection to a PC or Laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot) which can quickly establish a wireless LAN and convert the wired network into wireless signal output.
- USB 3.0: Just like some of the others, this device comes with USB 3.0 which gives fast speed and a super stable internet connection.
EDUP USB Wi-Fi Adapter
Our second to last Wi-Fi Adapter is the EDUP USB Wi-Fi Adapter. This adapter has a clever antenna design, (a bit like some of the others in this review) which really does help to maximise the Wi-Fi’s connectivity to a laptop.
By twisting the antenna to a direction where the Wi-Fi is good there won’t be any need to worry about trying to figure out the perfect position again!
You’ll get a connection on this device at 2. 4GHz 150Mbps max throughput on a laptop which isn’t the fastest that we’ve seen but it’s by no means a reason to dismiss it.
- Operating systems: The EDUP USB Wi-Fi adapter will support Windows 10/8/7/XP/VISTA, Mac Operating System 10. 6~10. 11 and Linux. We must note that it is only these operating systems that are compatible with the device.
- WPA security: This device comes with WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security so when you insert the adapter into a laptop and the internet starts working, you can feel relaxed knowing that the connection is safe from threat.
- 6dBi Antenna: As we mentioned previously, this device comes with an antenna for a stronger connection, but what didn’t mention was that with the new 6dBi antenna this will boost the reception and sensitivity of the device and deliver ultra-reliable and long-distance Wi-Fi connection.
Ciel Wi-Fi Dongle
Affordably priced and easy to pop into a bag, this Wi-Fi dongle supports the newest Wi-Fi standard, which is 1200 Mbps, that’s three times faster than the previous version so now you can stream, play video games and surf the web until your heart is content.
To get this dongle up and working, there’s a CD to insert into the laptop before inserting the Wi-Fi USB adapter, the indicator light flashes to indicate that it is working normally.
- Operating systems: This dongle is compatible with Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista, Mac OS and Linux.
- AP Function: With the Ciel Wi-Fi dongle, you can activate the SoftAP function after installing the CD software and create a Wi-Fi hotspot for other devices so you can get online super quickly!
- Stronger connection: With a stronger connection, you can sustain reliable wireless connection, even across multiple walls or floors so there’s no more worrying about whether the Wi-Fi is going to drop out!
So, that’s it! We’ve told you about nine different Wi-Fi boosters for laptops and we hope that there’s something in this article that’s caught your eye? Before we reveal which is our favourite, let’s take a look and see if a Wi-Fi booster can be hacked.
Can a Wi-Fi Booster Be Hacked?
Even if your Wi-Fi booster comes equipped with WEP or WPA, there’s still a chance that your Wi-Fi booster can fall victim to online hackers. A Wi-Fi booster that has this software installed is generally safe and is a lot safer than Wi-Fi boosters that don’t come with any sort of security protection.
If your booster doesn’t come with any sort of security protection, then we would definitely recommend upgrading to one that does or installing a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which gives online privacy and anonymity by creating a private network from a public internet connection.
|TP-Link AC600||TP-Link||View on Amazon|
|Cudy WU600||Cudy||View on Amazon|
|Fideco AC1200||FIDECO||View on Amazon|
|BrosTrend AC3||BrosTrend||View on Amazon|
|Aigital Wi-Fi Adapter||Aigital||View on Amazon|
|HUET Aigital Wi-Fi Adapter||HUET||View on Amazon|
|Acelink USB Wi-Fi Adapter||Acelink||View on Amazon|
|EDUP USB Wi-Fi Adapter||EDUP||View on Amazon|
|Ciel Wi-Fi Dongle||Ciel||View on Amazon|
9 Best Wi-Fi Boosters for Laptops – Which Booster Wins?
So, we’ve told you all about the nine best Wi-Fi boosters for laptops and we know that you’re itching to find out which one has won the prize, so let’s get straight to it, the winner is the BrosTrend AC3!
We’ve picked this one as our winner due to its fantastic features that it has offer such as the Wi-Fi chip and the five feet USB cradle extension cable which makes everything so much easier and gives a better connection. This device is the most expensive on our review list but if you’re willing to spend a little extra on a device that gives you a great connection and will last a long time then the BrosTrend AC3 is 100 percent worth it.
If you’ve enjoyed reading this article, then please leave us a comment in the box below. You can keep up to date with all of the latest DigiHelpdesk news by ‘liking’ us on Facebook and following our blog.