If you’re new to LG TVs, you might be wondering how to reprogram your LG TV remote control. Fortunately, this is an easy process to complete, and we’re going to tell you how.
Since the launch of smart TVs, the simple remote control has become a device in its own right. This is particularly true for LG TV remote controls, that offer both a magic control and a standard interface.
Gone are the days where you simply ‘press and point’ to change the channel. The increase in the technology used in our TVs now requires programming of our remote controls to get the best functionality out of them.
So, with the rise in popularity of LG TVs, we’re going to look at how to reprogram the LG TV remote control – including universal controllers.
What is the Difference Between Magic and Standard LG TV Remote Controls?
LG TVs are one of the most popular brands of smart TVs currently available on the market.
Known for their affordability combined with a high-tech spec, more and more people are bringing the LG TV into their homes.
Your new LG smart TV comes with two types of remote control: standard and magic. But what is the difference?
Well, the standard LG TV remote is basically what it says on the tin. It is a standard style remote control that, unlike the Magic remote, doesn’t need to be programmed to work with the TV. The standard remote is issued with older LG TVs and some recent releases too.
The Magic LG TV remote works slightly differently. This remote control comes with a trackball in the center. This feature allows the user to control the remote much like a mouse used for a computer. It can take some getting used to, but it makes certain features of a smart TV easier to use. For example, typing into the search bar when using the web browser.
Of course, the magic remote control can also be used in the same way as the standard, and the use of the trackball is entirely optional.
Now, let’s look at how to reprogram both the magic LG TV remote control.
How to Reprogram LG TV Magic Remote Control
To reprogram – or pair – the Magic LG TV remote control is fairly simple. You can do it in a few minutes following these simple steps:
- First, switch the LG TV on.
- Next, connect the RF dongle to one of the USB ports at the back of the LG TV.
- Wait for roughly 20 seconds, and using the scroll wheel on the remote control, press ‘OK’.
We’ll also look at how to unpair the Magic LG TV remote control too:
- On your Magic remote control, press and hold the ‘Home’ and ‘Back’ buttons for 5 seconds. This will reprogram (unpair) the remote control from the TV.
- Once the remote is unpaired, a red LED light will blink.
- Finally, press ‘OK’ using the scroll wheel on the remote control.
You can also set up ‘Universal Control’ on your magic remote control. This enables you to control other compatible devices with your LG TV remote.
Read on to find out how.
How to Setup Universal Control on LGTV Magic Remote Control
If you want to use your LGV TV magic remote to control other devices around your home, you need to set it up as a Universal Control.
You can do this quite easily using the following steps:
- On your magic remote control, press ‘Home’, then ‘Device Connector’.
- Next, select the device from the list.
- Select the matching input port, manufacturer, service, and any other information requested and then go to ‘Next’.
- You will then be asked to test the function buttons. You can do this by following the on-screen instructions: it just involves pointing the remote and checking whether it’s controlling the desired device.
- If the device isn’t being controlled by the remote, press ‘Remote 2’ and try again.
- Once the test phase is completed, press ‘Next’ and follow the last setup instructions.
- You will then be able to control your LG TV compatible devices with your LG TV magic controller.
LG TV magic remote is an extremely useful controller to have around the home once it is set up correctly.
Do you want to know how to get your LG TV setup to work with Freeview Play? Find out how to get it working with Firestick and more TV packages with our easy guide.