Does your Sony Bravia remote only turn the TV on and off? Do you know why your TV is not responding to the remote? Don’t worry, this article will provide you with the most common reason as to why Bravia remote malfunctions and what you can do about it to fix the issue.
Sony Bravia TV offers some of the best smart TVs on the market. Its upscaling technology brings life to stunning 4K picture quality. Also, the slick look of the Sony Bravia TV gives your room an elegant style.
However, a lot of users are experiencing issues with the Sony Bravia remote. Sometimes, users can not use the buttons on the remote except the power on and off buttons. A few users also reported that the remote does not respond to the TV at all.
Why Is My TV Not Responding To My Remote?
If your Sony Bravia TV is not responding to your remote, it can be due to the following reasons.
- The remote buttons are jammed and need cleaning
- The batteries on the remote needs replacement
- Battery terminals on the remote are corroded and need to be serviced
- The Bravia remote needs a reset procedure to pair with the TV accurately
- A network service or a connected device with your TV or remote is malfunctioning
- Electrical components in your room are interfering with the remote signal
- The remote is faulty and is not emitting the signal
How Do I Reset My Sony Bravia Remote?
To fix the Sony Bravia remote, the first method is to reset it. To do this:
- Open the back compartment of the remote by sliding it backwards
- Remove both batteries
- Press and release the remote control buttons twice
- Put in a new set of batteries
- Make sure that you put in both batteries correctly with the + and – pole according to the indication
- Also, make sure that you use the same brand of batteries
- Close the back compartment
- Remove all obstructions between the remote control and the satellite receiver and check all remote functions
How Do I Fix My Sony Bravia Remote?
If resetting your Sony Bravia remote does not solve your issue, you can do the following troubleshooting steps to get it working again with the TV.
Check For Physical Damage
Sometimes, debris can make some of the buttons on the remote jam and hard to press. Therefore, press all the buttons on the Bravia remote and check that you get a response from the TV. If the TV does not respond, either service the remote yourself to take it to the authorized dealer so they can do it for you.
Clean Battery Terminals
The battery terminals of the remote can get corroded over time if you forget to replace the batteries timely. This corrosion won’t let the battery make firm contact with the terminals properly that can result in a malfunction.
Remove the batteries from the remote. Pour some alcohol solution on a cotton bud and apply it to the battery terminals. Wait for a few minutes and insert the batteries. Remember not to put a rechargeable battery set in your Sony Bravia remote. Now check if you can get your remote back to working order.
Power Reset Your TV
If a network service or a connected device is causing your Bravia remote to malfunction, it can be improved by resetting your TV set. To power reset your Android or Google TV:
- Unplug the power cord of your Sony TV from the main wall outlet
- Wait for a couple of minutes and plug in the power cord back in
- Restart your TV with the remote by pressing and holding the Power button until the menu appears on the screen
- Press the Quick Settings button and go to Settings –> System –> Restart
- Select the Reset option and wait for a few minutes to let the reset process complete
Update TV Software
Quite often, older TV software versions won’t let the remote work properly. You may only be able to use the Power on and off button but can not access other settings on your remote. To update the Sony Bravia TV software:
- Press the Power button on your Sony Bravia TV remote and go to the Settings option
- Choose Setup, Customer Support, or Product Support
- Select the option of Software Update and select Yes to start the software update process
Check IR Sensor
Check if your remote’s IR sensor is working fine. To do this, turn on the camera on your Android phone or iPhone. Next, point the remote towards the mobile phone camera and press a button. If you see a beam in the picture, it means your remote is working fine. If not, reduce the distance between the remote and the TV or install a fresh set of batteries.
How Do I Reprogram My Sony TV Remote?
If you have bought a new remote that you want to use with your Sony TV, You need to reprogram it with your TV. To do this, you must know the TV manufacturer’s code.
- Make sure that you have installed a fresh set of batteries and your Sony TV is on by pressing the Power button
- Turn on the TV that needs to be programmed with the remote
- Press and hold the SET button on your remote until you see the SET indicator light
- To set up the TV component, press the component select button
- Use the number pad on the remote to enter the TV manufacture code and press the Enter button
- Point the remote control to the TV and press the Power button on the remote
- Press all the buttons on the remote and verify that all buttons function properly
If your Sony Bravia remote only turns the TV on and off, you can use this article to figure out the common reasons behind the remote’s malfunctioning. We have tried to mention easy troubleshooting steps that you can apply to fix the problem yourself. However, if the issue persists, you may have to contact a Sony customer support engineer to solve the problem or get the remote changed if it is faulty.