Skype is one of the most popular Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) tools. It is used for video conferencing by individuals and organizations all over the world. However, those who use skype regularly also state that it has its own set of issues. Skype sometimes prevents users from logging in, a common error reported by users frequently. It is important to understand the cause of the error and its fix as well. You can follow the simple troubleshooting steps below to fix the skype login error problem. If you are using a Mac and your Skype has quit unexpectedly, you can solve it by following these simple steps.
Skype is frequently used in the business world and you would not want to miss an important online meeting due to this issue! Moreover, with COVID-19, the importance of VoIP applications has increased considerably because many businesses have been forced to take their business affairs online. There are various ways to fix this issue. If you are facing issues with the Skype screen share button greyed out, you can fix that easily as well!
Troubleshooting steps to solve the skype login error problem
Checking your internet connection
If you are unable to login due to a ‘something went wrong’ error, it may be that you are not connected to the internet. Firstly, see if you are connected to a wifi or LAN connection. If the connection status is fine, you need to open your browser and try to open a website. If the website loads, then move on to the next steps. Moreover, If your browser does not load the website, your internet connection is unstable or not working and the problem is not with your skype account. A slow browsing speed might also suggest that there’s an issue with the internet connection. In case there are issues with the connection, you are required to troubleshoot your connection first and if the problem persists, then contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Check Skype Heartbeat
It is not necessary that the issue is from your side, it can also be a service problem on Skype’s end. To check the status, access the help tab from your Skype menu. Choose heartbeat from the dropdown menu. It will display any issues related to Skype’s infrastructure and you will also see recent issues at the bottom for reference.
Your Skye application should be up-to-date to prevent any Skype login related issues. You can upgrade Skype by downloading the most latest version from their website. You can also open Skype on your device and access the Help Menu. From there, choose check for updates and it will automatically update to the most latest version.
Configuring Your Firewall
If the Skype login error persists, your firewall may be the problem.
To configure your Firewall, make sure Skype is closed and is not running in the background. You can do that using task manager.
- Open your firewall and find the list of applications that are installed on your device.
- Find Skype from the list and choose ‘Allow Skype to connect to the Internet’, save changes and restart skype.
Creating a backup of your Skype history
Sometimes the problem is only solved by completing a full reboot. In order to uninstall and then reinstall Skype, you are also required to back up of your existing history in case you need it later. To create a backup of your Skype history, do the following steps:
- Press the Windows Key + R and type ‘%appdata\skype’ in the dialogue box and press enter.
- Make a copy of My Skype Received Files folder and the folder with your Skype name.
- Move these folders to a secure location.
To Uninstall Skype, you can go to your control panel and choose ‘remove/uninstall a program’. From the list, find Skype and click uninstall.
You can also uninstall skype using the following method:
- Press the Windows + R keys and type ‘appwiz.cpl’ into the dialogue box and press enter. Select Programs and Features and Right-click on Skype. Select Uninstall/Change and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After the uninstallation, go to your C:\ Directory and open Program Files. From there, delete the Skype folder and the SkypePM folder.
It is important that you perform the second step involved in the uninstallation process to complete the whole reboot process.
You can go to Skype’s official website to download the latest version of the software. After installing Skype on your device, follow the following steps to retrieve your Skype history:
- Close Skype, Press Windows + R keys and type ‘%appdata%\Skype’ into the dialogue box and press enter.
- Put the My Skype Received Files and Your name folders here.
Configuring Skype Connection Settings to Fix Login Error
If you are using a proxy server, you might need to reconfigure it in order to fix the problem. Follow these easy steps for reconfiguration:
- Open Skype> Tools>Options>Advanced>Connection
- Use the exact Proxy Option and then enter the host and port details. It will ask you for your proxy server username and password.
- Check the Proxy Authentication option and save changes.
- Quit Skype and close it using the task manager so it is not running in the background.
- Restart Skype and see if your error has been fixed.
Reconfirm Your Skype Username and Password
Sometimes you do not remember your skype username and password which is why it does not connect. If you feel that you have forgotten your password, you can easily change it using the forgot password option by entering your registered email address.
Why is Skype not recognizing my username and password details?
Make sure that you are entering your correct username and password. If you do not remember the correct details of your Skype account, you can reset your password using the ‘forgotten password’ option. If the problem still persists, make sure that the Skype server is functioning properly using Skype heartbeat.
Why has Skype stopped working on my Windows 10?
Skype can stop working due to various reasons including server issues or an outdated version of the software. Delete Skype and reinstall it from the official website to fix the problem. If the problem persists, reinstall your windows to see if it solves the issue.
What is the cost of calling on a Skype number?
Any Skype to Skype calls are completely free. If you wish to make calls on other mobile or landline numbers, you need Skype credit or subscription. The rates depend on the country you’re making the call to, and not the country where you’re calling from.