Do you need help with connecting your camera to Skype? Do you have your camera set up, but it does not show any image or even provide sound? This can be extremely disheartening. However, we are happy to help and provide some solutions to your problem.
Although Skype has been around since 2003, the issues from the platform have always been around. With its useful voice and video functionality, Skype is a front runner in this field. But what can you do when your laptop isn’t detecting your camera? We have the answers in this guide on the different ways you can get your Skype camera back up and running. Keep reading to find out more.
Skype not detecting camera
Skype is beneficial for communicating with friends, family and colleagues around the world. However, it can often be an issue that Skype isn’t detecting your camera. When your camera isn’t working, what are the next steps to getting this fixed?
Update your drivers
If your webcam isn’t working and you can’t see any obvious reason as to why the best place to start is with the drivers. If you’re not sure what to do, follow along with our steps here:
- Search in the bottom bar on your computer for device manager, then click cameras.
- Next, right-click on your camera driver and select update driver.
- Once you’ve done this, please reboot your computer and try using it on Skype again.
- If you’re still having issues, follow steps 1 and 2 again, select to uninstall driver instead of update.
- When the driver has uninstalled, you need to reinstall it again.
Check the video settings.
If this doesn’t work, looking at your video settings may help as you may have permissions turned off.
If you head on to your computer settings, select privacy > app permissions > camera. Then enable the option that says allow apps to access your camera.
Top tip: Check your camera isn’t being used by any other programs in the background as this may cause the camera not to work on Skype.
Skype not detecting camera on windows 10
If you’re having issues with your camera on Windows 10, check your camera is configured correctly. If you’re unsure of how to do this, check out the following steps for further help.
- Open the Skype app on your computer, then select tools and then options to open further settings.
- Next, click video settings to check the webcam is configured with Skype.
- If your Skype account advises, it could not find a camera, test your camera works in a different app or via the setup method.
- If your camera works elsewhere, then the issue is the integration between Skype and the Camera. Follow the steps above for further help with what to do next.
However, if the camera does not work at all, it is worth looking into alternative solutions. Resetting your camera by unplugging it from your computer and then reconnecting it may help. If you still have no luck with this, try a different port on your PC.
Are you having issues logging into Skype? Here’s how to fix the Skype login error.
Camera Error Skype on MacBook
If your MacBook camera isn’t working when you’re attempting to using Skype, then you may have an issue with Skype. Firstly check you are running the latest version of Skype. Next, if you are still having issues, uninstall Skype and then reinstall. If the problem persists, restart your Mac and test Skype again. However, one of the above methods should have resolved the issue. Sadly if you are attempting to use a third-party camera with Skype, as opposed to the one on your MacBook, this camera may not be compatible.
Skype business not picking up a camera.
When partaking in a business call, the last thing you want is for your camera not to work. So before your meeting, you can test it by clicking options > tools > video device settings. Click this, and you’ll see if there is an issue with your Skype picking up your camera.
Troubleshooting Skype for Business video
If Skype business doesn’t detect your camera, you see the message we didn’t detect your camera, or you don’t see it yourself, then try the following steps for a resolution.
- Make sure your camera is connected before heading on to Skype business.
- Check to see if another program uses the camera, as this may cause issues when trying to use your camera with Skype.
- Be sure to turn the camera on when in a meeting, as Skype business does not automatically start your camera. Although you can see your camera, you need to check the button under the video that is lit up.
We hope this has helped resolve your Skype camera issues; however, please get in touch if you need any further help.