Freeview offers a multitude of different TV channels all stacked onto one app with no subscription and as of 2019, you can get it on your Firestick.
It’s not as simple as installing some other apps as there isn’t a clear cut “Freeview app.” Instead, there are a couple of workarounds and multiple third-party applications that have over 70 of the top UK channels available.
No subscriptions or contracts, these channels are completely free to watch live and on-demand.
Read on and we’ll tell you the best apps to download and how to download them!
What is Freeview and why should you install it?
Freeview isn’t just one channel, it is a viewing service which offers a selection of the most popular channels in the UK.
It is supported by other apps such as BBC iPlayer, All 4, ITV Hub, UKTV Play and many more.
This means that there is more content in one place and you don’t have to download all the apps.
Alternatively, there are many different apps that are good to download for free-to-view channels, so we’ll just mention a few of those, too.
Some of the apps, such as UKTV Play, are available to download from the Android or iOS store rather than the Amazon app store, therefore you’ll need to cast from a mobile device such as a mobile phone or iPad to stream the content from those apps.
How to install Freeview on your Amazon Firestick in 2020
To download Freeview onto your Amazon Firestick please follow the steps below.
- Firstly, head to your Firestick settings > Device > My Fire TV > Developer Options.
- Here, you’ll need to allow ‘Apps from unknown sources’.
- Now, head back to the Home page via the Home button on the Firestick remote control.
- Next, you’ll need to download the ‘Downloader’ app.
- Open the Downloader app and enter the following URL for Freeview – https://tinyurl.com/sup7j9x.
- Follow the relevant on-screen steps to install the Freeview app by selecting ‘Go’ and ‘Install’.
- Once installed, the Downloader app screen should read ‘Installed’ or ‘Install complete’.
- You can then long-hold the Home button on the Firestick remote control, head to apps, then select the Freeview app.
The Echo Dot is a voice-controlled smart speaker that works well in any room.
Order essentials on Amazon, turn the lights down, access your mobile phone or turn on the television without having to move a finger.
What other apps can you add to your Amazon Firestick?
If you’re into competitive gaming you can watch Twitch straight from your Firestick.
YouTube often has something for everybody and is a favourite with the kids, available on the Amazon Firestick.
To guarantee your browsing is private you can download a number of VPNs to your Firestick, this can also enable users to view content from overseas opening up the opportunity to watch a lot more TV shows.
The Amazon Firestick tries not to bottleneck itself by only supporting video content, you can play music via Spotify on the device, too!
Control your home entertainment with the all-new Echo Dot
The voice-controlled smart speaker