The multiplayer online battle game League of Legends developed by Riot Games is hugely popular. Most of the time the gameplay is seamless, but from time to time you may see a message such as the error code 004.
In this article, we will go through what the error code 004 means, likely causes, and the most common fixes. As the error can be caused by a number of factors, we will go through each action individually.
By the end of the article, you will not only have a better idea of how to fix the error code 004. But also have a better understanding of the game as a whole.
What is The League of Legends Error Code 004?
The League of Legends error code 004 can be displayed in a number of scenarios. The most likely cause of the error is when updating or patching the game. However, the error may also be displayed if the game doesn’t have the correct admin privileges.
Other likely causes of the error code 004 can be due to not enough hard drive space, a corrupt installation, and/or corrupt config. files. Other likely causes include Antivirus software blocking the game or a faulty Internet connection.
How Do I Fix the League of Legends Error Code 004?
There can be numerous reasons why the League of Legends error code 004 can be displayed. Therefore, it’s wise to systematically go through various checks which we will detail below.
Running through each step below in order will give you a better understanding of how to fix the error and the game in general.
League of Legends error code 004: Run as Administrator
One of the most common reasons for the League of Legends error code 004 is setting administrator privileges. Even if you are logged into your administrator account, the game itself may not have the correct privileges.
Follow the steps below to set the correct administrator privileges for the game.
- If you are already playing, exit the game, then open ‘Task Manager’ (Start > in the search box type ‘Task Manager’) then end all processes associated with the game.
- Locate the game icon on your desktop or the executable file, Right-click, and then from the drop-down menu select ‘Properties.’
- Select the ‘Compatibility’ tab, then make sure ‘Run this program as an administrator ‘ is selected.
- Click the ‘Apply’ button and then ‘OK’ to save all changes.
- Restart the game, make any necessary updates, and see if the error has disappeared.
Free up Hard Drive Space for League of Legends
An error code may be encountered in League of Legends if you don’t have enough free space on your hard drive. If you don’t have enough hard drive space then updates and patches may fail to install.
There are third-party utilities available to check what data is chewing up your hard drive space. But most operating systems have disk cleanup utilities built-in. The steps below will run through how to use Windows ‘Disk cleanup’ to free up hard drive space.
- Within Windows Explorer, Right-click the hard drive icon, and in the drop-down menu select ‘Properties.’
- In the properties window, select the ‘General’ tab, then click the ‘Disk Cleanup’ button.
- Within the ‘Disk Cleanup’ window, select the files you wish to delete, then click ‘OK.’
If the above steps don’t clear enough hard drive space, then you will have to uninstall any unwanted programs. There’s also the option of using 3rd party tools to create additional hard drive partitions. There’s also the option of installing an external hard drive to add extra hard drive space.
Disabling Anti-Virus Software for the League of Legends Error
To fix League of Legends error 004, your Anti-virus software may be throwing out a false positive. This can happen when you are downloading or installing a new patch. You will need to either temporarily disable your third-party antivirus software or the likes of Windows Defender.
Each third-party antivirus software will have its own way of temporarily shutting down. Below we will go through the simple steps of disabling Windows defender. This software is built into the Windows operating system and will need disabling as a matter of course.
- Click the ‘Start’ icon and select ‘Settings.’
- In the next window, select the following, ‘ Updating & Security’ > ‘Windows Security’ > ‘Virus & threat protection.’
- On the next screen, select ‘virus and threat protection settings.’
- In the following window, under ‘real-time protection’ switch the button to ‘off.’
- Once you have installed all updates and patches, follow the steps above, then turn ‘real-time protection’ back on.
Deleting Config Files to Remove Error Code 004
It’s possible that a configuration file has become corrupted, causing the error code 004. If a config file is to blame, then it will need deleting. Follow the steps below to delete any corrupt config files.
- Locate the League of Legends folder on your hard drive. The folder will most likely be on your main hard drive. If you don’t know the precise location, you can perform a search within File Explorer.
- Locate the ‘Config folder,’ within the League of Legends folder, then delete the file ‘game.cfg.’
- Next, locate the folder path ‘RADS > projects > league_client > releases.’
- Within the ‘Releases’ folder, there will be a folder with the latest version number of the game. Delete this folder.
- After the above steps, make sure you are logged in as an administrator, then restart the game.
League of Legends error code 004: Internet Connection
Error messages may occur within League of Legends due to problems with an Internet connection. Firstly, check that your router is fully functioning by checking all connected devices. Another workaround is to use Google’s DNS service as listed below.
- On your computer keyboard, use ‘Windows + I’ to bring up the ‘Settings’ window.
- Navigate to ‘Network & Internet > Status > Change adapter options.’
- Locate your network connection, then choose ‘Properties.’
- Within the ‘Networking’ tab, select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4),’ then ‘Properties.’
- Under the section ‘Use the following DNS server addresses:’ use the Google public server IP addresses as below –
- Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
- Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
- Click the ‘OK’ button to save all changes. Restart your computer, log in as an administrator, update the game, then check all is working.
Hextech Repair Tool for the League of Legends Error Code
If you fail to solve the error code 004 within League of Legends, the Hextech Repair Tool can be used. This tool can be used to identify many common errors within the game. The tool itself can be downloaded here.
- Log into your system as an administrator, then open the Hextech Repair Tool.
- As the error code 004 generally occurs when patching the game, within the Hextech Repair Tool, choose ‘Game > Force re-patch.’ then click the ‘Start’ button.
- When the process is finished, shut down the tool, then restart the computer.
How to Reinstall League of Legends
If all else fails you may have to reinstall the game League of Legends. The game will first need completely uninstalling before adding a fresh copy.
- Within ‘Control Panel’, select ‘Programs > Programs and Features.’
- Select the League of Legends app., then ‘Uninstall/Remove.’ Follow the on-screen prompts to fully remove the app.
- Navigate to the main League of Legends folder via File Explorer on your hard drive. Then delete all install and setup files.
- Restart the computer, then download the latest version of the software here.
- It’s also possible to install the game by third-party software apps.
How to Fix Common League of Legends Errors
If you experience the League of Legends game crashing from time to time or displaying errors, follow the steps below.
- Check and update any graphics card drivers.
- If the game is running slowly, reduce your graphics card settings within the game.
- Make sure the latest game updates are in place.
- Install the latest version of the .net framework.
- Use the Hextech Repair Tool to diagnose common League of Legends problems.
If the above fixes don’t work, try reinstalling the game. As above, you will firstly need to remove all the install files from the previous version.
Summary of the League of Legends Error Code 004
While the League of Legends error code 004 may stop your gameplay from time to time, it is fixable. Follow the steps above systematically, which will diagnose and solve the problem.
In many cases, the Hextech Repair Tool should be used as a matter of course to diagnose any League of Legends problems.
We hope that you have found this article useful in solving your League of Legends errors. If you have enjoyed this article, please comment below with your own findings and share them on social media.