If you’re sick and tired of experiencing an intermittent black screen on your Sony TV then worry no more as we run through a variety of troubleshooting steps to get your TV working as it should.
Sony is among some of the most popular TV brands out there with the company being established for over 70 years now.
And while TVs in the 21st century seem to supersede anything that came before them, any device, big or small, expensive or budget can experience issues from time to time.
There’s nothing more disappointing than when your tech breaks down on you, so let’s take a look at what to do if your Sony TV screen goes black randomly.
Sony TV: Why do I have an intermittent black screen?
There are a few reasons as to why you’re experiencing an intermittent black screen on your Sony TV.
First and foremost, the issue can arise depending on the optimisation settings of your television screen. We take a look at this in more depth below.
An intermittent black screen could also be due to something as simple as a loose cable or connection. Be sure to check that all your devices are connected correctly with cables secure and in good condition.
How to fix an intermittent black screen on your television
The first solution we are going to run through is in relation to the TV screen optimisation settings.
Using your Sony remote control, navigate to ‘settings’. From here, follow these steps:
Display > video input settings > digital broadcast picture mode > choose ‘optimise for text and graphics’.
How do I fix my TV when the screen goes black?
If you’re still having issues with your Sony TV and the screen going black at random intervals, there may be some other solutions to try.
- Ensure that your Sony TV is running on the latest software. Please see Sony’s guide on how to perform a system update on your television.
- Unplug and reconnect the TV power cord to ensure that it is securely in place.
- Try unplugging all exterior devices from your Sony television. Turn on the TV and try loading an app such as Netflix. If your TV is now working fine, the error could be related to hardware plugged into the TV.
- Is your TV stuck in demo mode? See a guide from Sony on how to get out of ‘store’ or ‘demo’ mode here.
- Is your remote control faulty? If you’re trying to turn your TV on with the remote control but you’re seeing a black screen, try turning on the television via the power button rather than the remote.
- Check that your TV isn’t set to power saving mode or sleep mode. If you often see your TV turn off automatically, then it could be set to eco-mode. To change this, Sony outline some steps here.
- As a last resort, you can factory reset the television which almost always gets things working correctly.
To see a manual for your specific model of Sony TV, please follow this link.